Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Remembering that we change

Change is scary for most people. It means that what you know is no longer, and that it may be something you need to re-learn. Learning takes effort and openness. It takes a willingness to let go of what you already thought you knew and see if there is more you can understand and more you can take in.

When you feel like you know someone or something, you feel comfortable. It's familiar, it's something you can depend on. To me, that is where expectations begin to appear. It becomes more difficult for change to take place. There is resistance, and a greater difficulty in adapting. And you are held back.

I thought about change when I read this quotation. And I thought about how important it is, as Buddha says, to die each day - so that you can start anew, you can be open to seeing things fresh, to accepting things as they are, and not hold yourself back from being in the moment.

"Our being is continually undergoing and entering upon changesÂ… We must, strictly speaking, at every moment give each other up and let each other go and not hold each other back." - Rainer Maria Rilke

I love the idea of starting each day like you are a newborn, of opening your eyes to what is around you, what is in front of you, what is inside of you. And living fully.

No comments: