Here I am, a couple of weeks away from moving. I spent all of yesterday packing. I realized last night, as I finished up my 11th box and experienced a pang of wistfulness that I didn't have anything more at that point to pack, that I LOVE packing!
I find it so therapeutic to dive into my material possessions; submerge into that pool of objects and things that I've been carrying around; wade though the items that have significance in my life; and scoop up the rest to give away.
I feel free when I purge and pack. It makes me feel lighter. It makes me feel like I am more responsive and open. That I, subconsciously, have the space to react to new opportunities and experiences. That I don't feel the weight of "things" around my neck.
It also makes me realize that I don't need very much (why, on earth do I have 6 pillows and 3 duvets? what do I do with 13 bath towels? a dozen or so pairs of socks that I don't wear? copious amounts of utensils? and I've collected this only in the last couple of years, OMG!) Plus, I get excited to share my stuff with other people.
I am very fortunate, obviously, and I am happy to take the moment to respond to all that I have in my life. And to simplify. : )
2 comments:
"Simplify, simplify."
- Henry David Thoreau
I love Thoreau! Thank you! : )
Post a Comment