Friday, May 02, 2008

the wild

I saw a beautiful film last night, Into the Wild.

Adapted from the book by Jon Krakauer, the film was done by Sean Penn (screenplay written and film directed by him).

It was an exquisite view of the natural world - of the wild - of that raw and untouched landscape that we often don't explore. A story of this young man who wants to give his material belongings up to go live in the wild. To be free.

While I was watching the film, I realized that I have a deep longing to be able to act as courageously as Chris McCandless - to forgo all the traps that we have set up for ourselves in our lives - all the material things which we attach ourselves to - and live a life that is true and honest and one that requires me to be self-sufficient. Relying on no one else but myself.

Here's a quote that Chris wrote:
"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."

Could I do that?

A few years ago, I walked away from everything that I knew. Everything that I was familiar with. Everything that I had built up over the years. I walked away because, like Chris, I was deeply unhappy. I felt that I had no control over my own life. I felt like I had no choices available to me. I was not free.

And I walked into the wild of being alone, for the first time in my life. I walked into the wild of learning to be on my own, to be self-sufficient, self-reliant, free. I learned what I wanted for myself, what I was willing to accept, and what I was not willing to do.

It's a few years later now, and I've settled into a happy groove. I like myself. I like my life. And I live day to day, seeking out the adventures and the possibilities that can occur when you are open to living, when you are receptive to opportunities, when you embrace the moment.

And there are times, when I watch a movie like the one last night, that I have an urge to give my belongings away, donate my RRSPs/savings to charity, and with nothing more than a backpack on my back and a smile on my face, take that step into the unknown. That road less traveled. And see where it takes me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read the book? You might come away with another conclusion about McCandless. (I have not seen the film.)

The idea behind it is OK, I'm just not sure I'd hold McCandless up as much of a model.

Shirley Bittner said...

I enjoyed this film as well. My initial impression, was wow, this guy is able to just leave everything behind. What I found most sad was that the happiness he longed for, was right there, in front of him but he couldn't see it, or accept it, until it was too late. There were aspects of the film that were assumed (for obvious reasons). It was so sad to me that he couldn't see what he had.