Monday, July 21, 2008

nature

My fondest memory (and earliest memories) of being and enjoying nature started when I was about 5 years old. It likely could have happened earlier, but I really only remember it from that point onwards. My family had a cottage in Vermont. After dinner, and just before we had to go to bed, my Dad had a ritual that he would do with my three sisters and myself. One at a time, he would wrap us up in a warm blanket, and carry us up to the top of this little hill that we had. He sat down on a log, cradling us in his arms, and we'd look at the stars. He would talk about the night sky, the stars that we could see, and how big the universe was, and how beautiful nature was. I remember feeling loved and warm and in awe of the gift of nature.

I love Nature. It's a huge part of my being, my spirituality, and my feelings of being connected to all living beings. We are all connected and I seek out nature to remind myself often that human beings are just a small part of that living, breathing, functioning organism that we call life. I find nature to be honest and real - there isn't a lot that is hidden or subversive. It makes sense to me and it fills me with wonder, peace, and great respect. **

**these comments came about because nature is our subject/theme at Toastmasters this week. The toastmaster, a lovely guy named Boby, wanted to get some people's perspectives and input about nature and their own personal relationship with nature. It gave me a chance to explore some beautiful memories that I haven't accessed in awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful memory. You should share this with your father. I think he'd be moved.