Perhaps it's the copious cups of coffee, the chattering that happens within the closed confines of a car and the high caffeine content, the music streaming from the radio, or the endless ribbon of asphalt that unravels in front of your eyes...
..whatever it is, there is something about a road trip that inspires reflection.
On this particular long weekend, driving along quiet stretches of highways in Quebec, I listened to these Starsailor lyrics "So I turn to you and I say, thank goodness for the good souls, that make life better. So I turn to you and I say, if it weren't for the good souls, life would not matter." and I was consumed with thoughts of friends, love, and the beautiful experiences that both of these have brought to my world. Heady food for thought, indeed.
I've learned and explored a few things in the last few years about both. I consider these to be my own personal life lessons and I feel blessed that I've had the chance to experience them and grow from them.
- friendship is powerful force and has rocked my world more intensely than I could ever expected.
- there is nothing quite like the feeling of being with little people and being able to soak up their energy, laughter, and ability to live in the moment.
- people will come into your life bearing gifts. It's up to you to find what those gifts are and to use them without hesitation or restraint. Often it's not until much later in life that you recognize them for the impact that they had on you.
- when in the presence of love - the kind that fills your soul, brings a happy ache to your heart and tears to your eyes - stop whatever it is that you are doing, let the feeling flow down to your toes, and smile. Be still, be grateful, and soak it up!
- I don't know that I believe that I can change the world, but I do believe that people heal in the presence of love. Years of anger and hatred, fear and doubt can transform into courage, confidence and acceptance. It takes time and it takes openness. I believe that what we need to do to help make a global impact starts with a simple desire to want to treat one person differently.
- I am an incredibly lucky and blessed person and I am so grateful for all the people, experiences, and fortune that surrounds me. I recognize that life is short and I intend to fill mine with as much love, laughter and life as I possibly can.
No comments:
Post a Comment