Friday, July 17, 2009

sewing love

I held her face between my hands and I kissed her furrowed brow. Trying to soften the deep fissures that threatened to reveal the depths of her sorrow. I smoothed back her hair and looked into her eyes. I told her that our little patches, little fabrics of love - the pieces of ourselves that we share with the people we treasure and the people who fill our souls - can be sewn together to make a beautiful quilt. Alone, that one square may seem small and insignificant. But together, they bring warmth, comfort and peace. That beautiful weight that envelopes and covers you just before you drift off to sleep.

I told her that was what family was. And I told her that was what she had in her life already. That she just needed to bring those pieces together and sew her own quilt. And then I wiped the tears from her face and kissed her lips.

~ That was my dream last night. I don't know who I was speaking to but the message moved me a great deal.

No comments: