Saturday, July 16, 2005

Magdelene Sisters

I watched the "Magdalene Sisters" tonight. What a disturbing film. Set in 1964, in Ireland, it described three girls who get sent to a nunnery because they have sinned, according to the Catholic religion. One girl was raped, one had a baby out of wedlock, and the other was considered a temptress because she enjoyed flirting with boys. Their lives were ruined, they were shunned from respectable society, they were removed from their families and sent to a place without love or affection, a place where they had to work themselves to the bone, in order to redeem themselves in the eyes of god.

I realized while I watched this film, how lucky we all are in this world to be free. To be whom we want to be; to live in culture where there is tolerance and acceptance. I know there are situations which don't fit with this, and I respect that people's individual experiences may be different, but I know, for myself, that I am free. To be myself, in whatever capacity that is. I can choose to be me, to express myself, to make choices and make mistakes, and be responsible for those. Knowing that the only judgment, generally, will come from me. I recognize that I am so extraordinarily blessed to be able to do whatever it is that I want. Life is so good. : )

No comments: