Ottawa is hosting a Blues Festival from July 7 to 17th, and I decided to treat myself and get a full pass. I've been Friday and Saturday so far (it started on Thursday). I've listened to the Black-Eyed Peas, Neko Case, Alison Krauss & the Union Station, and some of Daniel Lanois.
It's so much fun to walk out of my apartment, up 6 blocks to Laurier/Elgin, and be immersed in the energy and delight of thousands of people, all playing outside, with the intent to hear music. And the music is so good.
I am enjoying this festival. It's a delight to people watch; to navigate through sunburned faces, and around people carrying chairs, coolers, and drinks. I love watching groups of friends who are out enjoying themselves and the scene; lovers swaying together to the music; parents introducing their children to dancing and singing in the park; girls preening themselves and casually scanning the vicinity for boys; And boys acting cool, cruising by the groups of pretty girls.
And walking home, I can hear the strands of Bluegrass music wafting through the air that almost seems to reach my apartment.
* I saw that quotation on the volunteer shirt for the Blues Fest of 2000.
No comments:
Post a Comment