Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Ikea Rocks!

I just have to say that Ikea rocks!

I am a complete dope when it comes to handling tools (of the mechanical kind ; ) and building anything. I have been known to put things on backwards, upside down, and inside out. My fingers are clumsy and awkward handling screws and nails and trying to line up things exactly. I tend to be a little too lenient when it comes to perfection. (I think of it as flexing my artistic & creative muscles!) I am generally content with "hm, that looks ok to ME." and, the even better, "No one will notice it if I cover it with a... "

On the best of days, I am challenged when it comes to making decisions. So for me to hit Home Depot and try to figure out the best size screw to use for something, often results in me coming home with 10 little packages of screws in various sizes, shapes, and materials.

And I am an Aries, so my patience threshold is slightly lower than most. ; )

But man I feel downright competent with Ikea DIY items! I've built a little TV stand, a huge massive 5X5 cubby bookshelf**, and tonight, I am building a couple of little benches for extra storage space. YAY for me! : )


** I confess that Dave & Amy helped me with the final touches of the bookshelf. I spent nearly an hour trying desperately to put one side of the bookshelf into the little wood knobs, and just as I'd almost have it line up, the opposite side would pop out. So, I'd go over the newly popped out side, and patiently coax each cubby into their little homes, and bam!, the other side would pop out. I went back and forth, and was about to toss the whole pile of puzzle pieces out my window, when A&D stopped by with a little much needed elbow grease and giggles. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ikea rocks would be sedimentary, wouldn't they?