Friday, December 30, 2005

New Beginnings Are Happening Right Now

"Every morning is a fresh beginning. Every day is the world made new. Today is a new day. Today is my world made new. I have lived all my life up to this moment, to come to this day. This moment - this day - is as good as any moment in all eternity. I shall make of this day - each moment of this day - a heaven on earth. This is my day of opportunity.”

- Dan Custer

I just got a call from Captain Ken, hailing all the way from New Zealand. I think he must be the loneliest man I know. He has no family, is estranged from his daughters, his wife passed away a few years ago. He met a woman, and briefly spent some time with her earlier this year, but that didn't work out. He said he spent Christmas alone. My heart just ached for him.

We chatted for about 15 minutes. He talked a little about what he was doing today (it was 3pm on Fri, Dec 31). He talked about some of his hobbies. One thing he mentioned is that he didn't cook. And when I told him that I didn't either, he said, "OH. Well, then, I guess I can't marry you. I was hoping that you cooked. But it won't work out if you don't cook." I had a good chuckle at that. And yet, it was twinged with a bittersweet sadness, as if it were even remotely possible that I had that kind of power to fill someone's life with happiness.

I hope he can find some friendship in 2006 - that whatever mistakes he's made, whatever doors he's closed, that whatever has happened in the past can be left in the past, and that he can find the courage and the strength to take a new, bold step forward... and open himself to new connections and new possibilities. Life is too bloody short, and to feel like your only friend is some girl you met for a fleeting instant on a bench at a train station thousands of miles away seems wrong somehow.

My thoughts are with you Ken. Be well.
Lisa

No comments: