Monday, June 02, 2008

A Summer Toast

I had to write a toast for tomorrow's Toastmasters meeting. The theme is SUMMER.

I wrote this quickly - mostly because I am hungry and itching to get out of the house for some exercise. I scribbled this down on a pad of paper as I sat perched on my kneeling chair - one leg poised in a contortion, as if ready to make a mad dash to somewhere.

Although my mind was a bit scattered and distracted, the imagery came so easily.

And it dawned on me how much I enjoy this season.
How I wait for it for months and forget about the simple pleasures and incredible fun that lies in wait every moment during these short 12 weeks.

Here's a toast to SUMMER

to sunshine
green grass
gatherings of friends and family
lilac bushes
BBQ season
cold beer
summer holidays
ice cream
birds chirping at dawn
bare feet
impromptu cocktails on the back deck
campfires
outdoor music
picnics
brilliant sunsets
swimming
and all the things that are evocative of the warmest time of year with the longest days!

To summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(raising my glass) and smiling!

Steph said...

I love it! :)