Wednesday, March 04, 2009

March sunshine

I'm a March baby. I'm a Spring baby. I was born two days after the official start of Spring. Ironically, my birth occurred in the middle of a huge snow storm in Montreal, and my mother wasn't sure if she would actually make it to the hospital in time for my birth.

And I am aware that I'm an optimist. I get so much of my energy by seeing the world in a positive way; looking for the silver lining present in every situation. 

So, I don't know if this feeling comes from me being born at this time of the year or whether it stems from my enthusiasm, but I am noticing that the sun feels different in March.

Yes, it's still bitterly cold outside. The kind of cold that whacks its way into your bones and leaves your teeth rattling on the way out. The kind of cold that paralyzes your lungs when you inhale deeply. A frigidness that makes you feel inspired to layer your clothes, take an extra portion (or two) of cheese and breads and comfort food, and lock the door until mid August.

But the sunshine feels different in March from the sunshine in February or late November. It feels warm. It feels stronger. When it touches your face, streaming through a window or brightly lit outside, I feel my skin heat up. I can feel my body relax into it. I can feel my spring soul jump excitedly. 

"Spring is coming!", I hear my inner voice tell me, "Spring is coming!"

No comments: