I am learning some of the mental aspects of story telling that bog me down when I write. What prevents me from telling a story (any story) is getting the logic right. I am often paralyzed from continuing a thread or following through with an idea, because I feel that it can't happen. I find myself constantly asking myself "Does it make sense? Is it plausible?"
For example, I can start this story about a shoe. I can envision a man driving home after a long day, who is stuck in traffic, in 35 degree weather, with his A/C broken, wearing long pants and a long-sleeved, button-down work shirt. I can see this man as he impulsively kicks his mocassins off to relieve some of the heat that he's
experiencing. I see him reach out to place the shoes on his seat next to him. As he takes his attention off the road for a split second to move the shoes, the driver of the car in front of him slams on his brakes.
In a panic, he tosses the shoes, so that he can grab the emergency brake, and within inches of rear-ending the sleek, shiny, black Mercedes, he screeches to a halt. One of the shoes he's tossed, bounces off the glove compartment, and ricochets out into the middle of the road.
But really? Would he toss the shoe hard enough for it to bounce like through the window? Would the toss be aimed high - towards the window? Or would it, logically, be aimed at the floor? I suspect that when you rush/drop things, it's usually to the ground, especially since the force of gravity assists you.
It's at this point that I feel unable to continue. The story is lost to me.
1 comment:
What if, on a hot day, the man takes off his shoes before getting into a truck, a leaves them on the open tailgate of the truck, gets distracted (with what?) before putting them away, and leaves with them there. They bounce off. One in one location....where's the other? What kind of story will be made up about the other?
Post a Comment