Sunday, February 22, 2009

caretaker

I had an incredibly powerful dream last night. It was filled with oceans and beach bungalows. Apart from the sunshine and the water, and feeling both on my naked skin, I was surrounded by people that I love.

In my dream, I would walk or wade to a hut, and would visit with the people inside. Sometimes they would share their troubles with me (fertility questions, career aspirations, emotional pain), sometimes I would physically repair some aspect of the hut that needed to be fixed (a roof, a door, or a part of the floor), and sometimes I would just quietly hold them. Let them feel a gentle touch and the love that was present. Once I felt that I could leave them in a place that was better than when I arrived, I would move on to the next hut.

I realized after a few huts that I was a caretaker. A caretaker of the souls of my friends and family. Someone charged with the purpose of making their lives just a little bit more peaceful. Someone who felt free and comfortable tending to their emotions and their lives. Someone who walked away feeling energized and content after being in contact with them.

No comments: